BLINKENBIKE The worlds first build-a-balance-bike. A Danish design that takes the concept of a balance bike to a higher level of learning. It is a new patented (PA 2015 00275) concept bike made of the finest strong wood and waterproofed birch plywood.
The BLINKENBIKE isn’t just a bike, it is also a toy and a building kit. One basic bike can be built into a series of bikes in different designs, only dependent on the amount of accessories purchased.
Thus the BLINKENBIKE is a complete concept for kids not only to learn how to ride a bike, but also how to develop their motor skills and encourage their natural curiosity and creativity by assembling multiple varieties of different designs based on just one basic bike
More than just a Balance Bike
The BLINKENBIKE is both a balance bike and a toy designed to aspire kid’s curiosity integrating playing and learning.
With the BLINKENBIKE all the fun begins in the integrated tool compartment, that kids instantly recognise because of the shape as the well known “Shape-Sorter-Toy”.
In the BLINKENBIKE the shaped bricks aren’t just bricks, they are small functional knobs called BLINKENBOLTS
Guidelines and recommendations
- Handlebar should not be too wide – for easy manoeuvring √
- Limited steering angle – for a stable ride √
- Proper distance between handlebar and saddle – to avoid stomach injury √
- Steering should not be limited to less than 45° – so the child isn’t forced to lift the bike at narrow turns √
- Adjustable saddle height – for long-term use √
- Adjustable handlebar hight – to corespond to sitting position √
- Padded saddle – to minimise pressure on the kid’s spine √
- Low entry – for easy boarding ÷
- Large wheels – for more stable ride and minimise risk of falling while cutting curbs √
- Soft (pneumatic) tires – to minimise pressure on the kid’s spine and stable ride √ (the BLINKENBIKE has an extra wide rear tyre for extra protection and cooler look)
- No handbrake – distracts the child √
- No fixed handles – forcing the child to keep hands at a certain place √
- Handle for carrying the bicycle ÷
Ad 8) On BLINKENBIKE We deviated from the low entry in order to get at stiffer frame. We are developing a “Low Entry Model” (Model Swan – see Upcoming designs) but are still working with frame stiffness
Ad 13) There isn’t a carrying handle on the BLINKENBIKE because we believe that adults should protect their back too. Instead we are developing a carrying harness and a push handle to assist the child during training, and for adults to push the child when he or she is tired.
The bike is by the way rather lightweight
What is a balance bike?
A balance bike is a bike without pedals, chain or cranks. The child is sitting on the bike with the feet flat on the ground, making them feel safe. By using the feet to propel themselves along, they quickly learn the skills to glide, scoot, start and stop confidently.
Benefits of a balance bike
A balance bike have the advantage, that it teaches your kids the skills they will need to ride a pedal bicycle. When they move to a pedal bike, they will already know how to balance and steer, making the transition quick and easy. Therefore, a balance bike will make your kid move safer into traffic, because they do not have to concentrate on balance.
A BLINKENBIKE is an ideal first bike, as young a 15-18 month can get to grips with. As well as learning to balance, it will help children learn co-ordination, spatial awareness and motor skills, all essentials for riding a pedal bike – while having fun!